01v96 - 'solo' aux send with UDK or midi controller?

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone might know of an easier way to solo aux sends on the 01v96. At the moment I must go to the master layer, select the aux, go back to the main layer, select aux X fader mode, make adjustments, and then repeat to solo another aux. I did monitors for a small festival over the weekend, and it was a major PITA. I know it’s not the best console for the job, but I figure it’s worth considering my options.

Is there a better way??? I can’t figure out how this could be done with the UDK’s, so I’m thinking some external control may be necessary.

Any thoughts or insight are appreciated.

Marlow

Hello Marlow,

Using Yamaha’s Studio manager you can have permanent access to your aux sends on your laptop. In the console setup (<file><setup>) on your laptop you need to stop the console updating the layer or the channel, and vice-versa. That way your laptop can control just the auxes, and you can use the desk just for the channel layers. This gives you the possibility of using Andy’s Sends on Faders program as well (available on this site), which gives you more accurate control of the auxes on your laptop.

The other alternative, as you suggest, is a control surface such as the Behringer BCF2000, which can send SysEx messages (as used by Studio Manager). Solo select Aux1 is F0 43 10 3E 0D 03 2F 00 08 00 00 00 00 F7 for the 01v96. Almost all midi control for the 01v96 can be done with NRPN, but unfortunately there does not seem to be any equivalent NRPN for the SysEx used for “Solo” select. You could have the BCF2000 set up just to control the aux master levels and to select the aux “solo” and “select” buttons, or you could use it to do the entire monitor mix.

David Kent.

Thanks for that useful information. I can’t believe I didn’t know about not updating layers. That helps a lot. In terms of SOF, I’m still waiting on a windows tablet and Silex USB to wifi device. I’ve only got apple laptops at the moment.

Thanks,

Marlow

You are very welcome. The near endless possibilities offered by current soft and hardware makes for a steep learning curve, and sometimes it’s not even obvious why some options are offered. Have fun with your tablet!
David Kent.