Motorola DTR550 Programing

Hello, My name is Ben and I am having troubles programming my DTR550 radios. A few months back my IT department upgraded my laptop to windows 10 and when they did they removed the Business Radio CPS I had installed. I was able to have them reinstall R06.00 from Motorola’s website but now I am getting an error message when I try to read or write:

Communication Error.
For RM and RMM Series radio, please toggle the USB cable to ANALOG (CPS) mode.
For DLR Series radio, please toggle the USB cable to DIGITAL (Flash) mode.

After doing some research it sounds like the new version of the software is not compatible with the older firmware on my radios. I have been trying to find a copy of R03.01 and the only place that it seems to exist now is on these forums.

AFAIK, the latest CPS (v7 I believe) still works fine with the DTR series. I expect you have another issue going on.

Hello,

I’m running into this same issue. I’ve tried the latest software link of 8.02 as well as 3.01 and get the same:

Communication Error.
For RM and RMM Series radio, please toggle the USB cable to ANALOG (CPS) mode.
For DLR Series radio, please toggle the USB cable to DIGITAL (Flash) mode.

I’m on Windows 10. The PC sees the USB to Serial Comm Port that I purchased from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IDSM6BW/

I’ve updated the radio firmware using the 6.01 and 6.05

Any help or ideas of what’s wrong?

Thanks!

The latest CPS is R08.02 and works fine with the legacy DTR410/550/650 models. I own a small fleet of DTR650 radios and R08.02 works fine with them.

Check your COM port settings in the CPS. The CPS defaults to Auto Detect COM Port for detecting the COM port used by the CPS cable. This works fine with the DLRs and new DTR600/700 models because they use the HKKN4027 CPS cable. The Auto Detect COM Port setting DOES NOT work with the older CPS cable for the legacy DTR410/550/650 models. You need to manually set the COM port in the CPS to match what COM port the CPS cable is actually using.

Fixing the COM port setting should work and enable talking to the radio.

Good luck.