"0000", not in my area

Ok, so I did some “war-driving” as it were today.

My new toy is still “shiney” to me so I am out playing with it, Dtr700.
Driving around the city looking for places on default: 0000, ch.1 .
I know walmart has these, Apple store, a specific national hardware store chain, and a few others.
Although I haven’t looked in my malls since I discovered these, they’re probably in there too.

The first thing I found out on powering my radios and TX, it finds at least one radio in range before transmitting.
So, drive to the mall and around the parking lot (hugging the mall’s perimeter) pressing transmit “0000-ch.1” and seeing if theres a match in range.
Nothing.
Not at other mall’s, big box stores, restaurants, industrial parks, hotel’s, bar’s, rec. centers.

Nobody’s using this?
It’s as if someone warned them all to not just use them as is out of the box.
Damn.
Who would do that?

I could guess the code maybe, …store phone number xxx-2222, store #, street address, pretty specific.
Are there any “try these” groups like with scanners?
1234 ?
0001 ?

The only “try this” group is the Profile ID Number (PIN) at the 0000 default. When the PIN = 0000, the PIN feature is OFF and profile ID mode channels are public groups identical to public groups in the legacy DTRs and on hopset 1 (default).

If your DTR700 is at the factory default settings, leave the PIN set at the 0000 default. Each channel corresponds to a public group ID in the legacy DTR410/550/650 and using hopset 1 (default). Just change channels to change the group ID. The DLR default settings are identical to the DTR600/700 defaults on channels 1-6 so DLRs will talk to DTR600/700 radios out of the box at the factory default settings. The legacy DTR410/550/650, DLR1020/1060, and DTR600/700 will all talk to each other at their factory default settings. I recommend updating the firmware in your DTR700 to add scan capability, add OTA capabilities, fix a few bugs, and add Manager Mode features identical to the legacy DTRs.

I routinely get connect hits from other DTRs and the DLRs in urban areas, particularly in and around major retail districts. I have been noticing increasing activity in my travels. I use the scan feature to monitor for activity. The Costco Wholesale store near me uses DLR radios at the factory default settings and I can hear them. I have a mix of channel types programmed into my fleet of DTR700 radios and purposely have public groups programmed identical to the defaults in the DLRs and legacy DTRs so I can monitor for activity. People seem to be using these radios right out of the box at the factory default settings like FRS bubble packs. I have monitored activity from Costco up to a couple of miles away so it’s not necessary to be at the edge of the property to hear them. Generally if you are close enough to be within FRS range, you are already more than close enough for the DTRs and DLRs.

To avoid needing to try PTT on each default public channel to test for other radios in the area, program a channel as a profile ID mode channel with the profile ID set to Call All Available and try that. Leave the PIN set a the 0000 default. DTR600/700s and DLRs operating at the factory default settings will respond if in range, regardless of the channel they are on and regardless of the channel type except for 1 to 1 private calling. Call All Available and Page All Available are All-Call feature where radios not currently busy in a group call or private call or private 1 to 1 call are thrown into a temporary super group with a 4 second hang time. With these features, a user can call everybody, even if they happen to be on different channels. Radios in this temporary super group can chit chat back and forth while the group remains active, i.e., provided a user presses PTT before the 4 second hang time expires. After the hang time expires, all radios revert back to the channel they were on. Page All Available is similar to Call All Available except that PTT is disabled and a user can only reply with the 1 to 1 Private Reply feature so only single user can respond. Getting connect hits with these features saves you from having to manually try each channel to see if you get any connect hits. If you get connect hits, that tells you there are some DTR600/700 and/or DLR radios in range somewhere. Then you can try the default public channels to see where they are.

The legacy DTR410/550/650 models don’t have the Profile ID Number (PIN), Profile IDs, and Call/Page All Available features. These are Profile ID features and are new features which started in the DLR1020/1060 and then followed in the DTR600/700. The Call All Available and Page All Available features were implemented by using Profile IDs 19 (Page All Available) and 20 (Call All Available). A legacy DTR410/550/650 can trigger Call All Available and Page All Available in the DLRs and DTR600/700 when the PIN is at the 0000 default. Since group IDs 19 and 20 are public group IDs in the legacy DTR410/550/650, transmitting on these groups with a legacy DTR causes DLRs and DTR600/700 radios to respond accordingly as Call All Available and Page All Available. A legacy DTR will simply respond to these IDs as it would with any other public group ID because they don’t have any Profile ID features.

The Call All Available and Page All Available features are cool features for businesses which may have multiple groups of users spread out across different channels. The features are both a blessing and a curse. They are convenient for calling users without having to try each channel to find them. The bad thing is users are vulnerable to getting trolled by these features when the PIN is at the 0000 default. These features affect the entire radio when activated by a radio with a matching PIN. A Private Group can be temporarily broken into this way by a user outside the group. To prevent being trolled, set the PIN to something other than the 0000 default, even if you only want public groups and are not going to program any Profile ID channels. Your radios will then require a matching PIN from another radio to trigger Call All Available or Page All Available. Choose a PIN carefully because the last digit of the PIN sets the frequency hopset the radio uses, unless the Profile ID Number Lock has been disabled (on the ADVANCED page in the CPS). More about this below. Then program channels as public groups instead of Profile ID groups and they will work like at the default settings and like the legacy DTRs.

I learned from experimentation that the last digits of the PIN determines the hopset the radio uses. Hopset 1 is the default hopset used when the PIN = 0000.

PIN = XXX1 --> hopset 1
PIN = XXX2 --> hopset 2
PIN = XXX3 --> hopset 3
PIN = XXX4 --> hopset 4
PIN = XXX5 --> hopset 5
PIN = XXX6 --> hopset 6
PIN = XXX7 --> hopset 7
PIN = XXX8 --> hopset 8
PIN = XXX9 --> hopset 9
PIN = XX10 --> hopset 10

The relationship between the last digits of the PIN and the hopset used applies to the whole radio. The Profile ID Number (PIN) lock = ON by default, on the ADVANCED page in the CPS. Turning the PIN lock OFF allows changing the hopset used on individual channels if you have a mix of channels using different hopsets. The CPS warns that changing the hopset this way may cause some features to not work and is recommended only for experienced users. I recommend leaving the PIN lock = ON and choose a PIN carefully so the radio operates on the hopset you want to use.

Good luck.