01V96 Editor

Hi Andy and All,

For controlling the 01V96, I regularly use my IBM Thinkpad X41 Tablet, with 1024 x 768 resolution.

With the 01V96 Editor it is not possible to scale the size of the Layer, Master and other windows.
So on smaller laptops with high-resolution screens, the fonts get kinda small and hard to read.

I can change the screen resolution, but on most laptops, anything other than the native resolution is fuzzy and again, hard to read.

I asked Yamaha about this and they said they would look in to it, being able to change the window sizes might be possible, but may not be something they are likely to do.

My best bet appears to be a large, low-resolution screen, like a 15.4" 1280 x 800.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks and good health, Weogo

Hey Weogo;

I would highly recommend a notebook with a high-res screen. LCDs should always be run at their native resolution for the clearest image. Personally, my notebook is a 15.4" with 1600x1050 resolution. My next will be a 16" or 17" with 1920x1080. You can always make the text and image bigger, but with the high-res screen the image will be clearer.
Another thought could be if the notebook has a VGA or DVI output with a higher resolution, you could plug in an external monitor.

Not sure what version of Windows you’re using, but Vista and 7 (and probably XP) have magnifier apps that can zoom in on smaller stuff. That’s probably not what you want though, since it’s nice to see all of the SM window rather than a zoomed-in section.

Hi Andy,

I agree, for almost all other software I would far prefer to have a high-res screen, and native resolution is best.

The 01V96 Editor can fill the screen of any laptop.
The problem is that the Layer, Master and other windows are all somehow fixed for size, so on a high-res screen, the actual windows are small, and as far as I know, the text cannot be made any bigger.( I have tried adjust DPI and font size in windows-xp.)

The only way I have found to make the text bigger was when I tried 800x600 resolution. Which of course was fuzzy and the text was again hard to read.

I have tried the zoom feature, but you are correct, I want to see the whole Layer or whatever window bigger.
Is there a way in windows-7 to zoom the whole screen?!

I have considered an external screen, but would really prefer to find a laptop solution…

Ok, I’m repeating myself, I’ll just have to make a decision and live with it.

Maybe I just need a nice little 17" Lenovo W700DS dual-screen model, weighing in around 12# !!

Thanks and good health, Weogo

That’s true. It’s all graphics, I think on those windows, so you can’t resize the font. It would make everything not fit properly in the window too.

The only way I have found to make the text bigger was when I tried 800x600 resolution. Which of course was fuzzy and the text was again hard to read.
Yeah, you don’t want to go away from native resolution.

I have tried the zoom feature, but you are correct, I want to see the whole Layer or whatever window bigger.
Is there a way in windows-7 to zoom the whole screen?!
Zoom on Win7 seems to work quite well, but I thought that you could do that on XP and Vista too? What are you running?

Maybe I just need a nice little 17" Lenovo W700DS dual-screen model, weighing in around 12# !!
True - size = weight, so you have be careful. Whatever you buy you have to lug around. I like to use my 15" and plug it into a 22" external by the console when I’m working. Nice big SM display, and my recording software and things are on the laptop display. Works great.

Sorry if this might sound dumb, but is there any alterntive editor to the one by Yamaha’s?
Cheers

I’ve not heard of anything, but the console can be controlled and settings modified in any number of ways.
What are looking to do that SM doesn’t do?

I was just wondering if there was some independent app/editor that would allow for resizing and all that :slight_smile:

Hi,

That would be sweet! Mostly I have just decided to live with it. After using the 01V96 for about five years know I know my way around the screen pretty well.

Good health, Weogo

I guess there’s a couple, but they’re very old. No idea if they’d work with the newer “96k” 01V…

http://www.squest.com/Windows/Instruments/Yamaha01V/index.html

http://www.c-mexx.com/english/frameset.htm

Must have been done before Yamaha came out with Studio Manager… I can’t imagine someone taking the time to write a SM replacement from scratch!

Try it on a 10.5" netbook! I can only run with the equipment I have and that is what it is. Thankfully I don’t use the netbook much, only take it out to the foyer and adjust the mix going out to there. I’m 35 now and can see it just fine. Don’t know for how many year more tho!