A couple things that strike me

this thread title - aka the long way to write “feedback” :icon_rolleyes:

First off, I like the program & it has a lot of potential. However, I haven’t quite figured out how it could fit into my workflow, which is more of a comment on my system, its challenges & my colleagues rather than a comment on the program itself. I use a CL3, still on the v3.?? firmware (v4 just came out in the last month). One of the new features is a dual cue buss setup, though from the brief look I gave to it as I’m not planning on upgrading yet, the YammieQ way seems a lot more flexible. Is Yamaha lurking…?

Things:

It would be great if the first setup instructions were included with the program itself rather than just on the forum. In my case, it was the needing to turn on the parameter tx/rx in the console. Once I did that, everything worked perfectly with no problems. Both the work computers and the internet connection can be cranky at times so it’d be great to avoid getting online just to see the instructions.

When using YammieQ & the CL Editor - even though I start with CL3 selected, once YammieQ connects, the editor switches to CL5. I don’t remember if this behavior happens when connected with an actual console or not. I can check later this week.

The “Options” dialog/window appears before the splash screen has gone away, partially obscuring it, at least for me.

Feature request:

Is there a way to trigger off of a range of fader values? My kind of silly proof of concept was mapping the lamp brightness to a fader via YammieQ. I discovered it was hard to hit a certain 1 of 1024 value, as it currently is now. I work outdoors in the evening so the ambient light changes everyday and it’d be great to dim/brighten all the settings at once with more options than just bright & dark.

There’s a few more things but I need to find the notepad I wrote them on. Unfortunately, the notepad also had the details of a hardware project I was going to work on today (inspired by YammieQ actually) so I might have to step away from the computer & go outside. :confused:

Tim

Hi Tim and Welcome!

Thank you for taking the time to write up your thoughts on YammieQ. I really appreciate it!

It seems everyone wants some better instructions, and I agree, it needs to be done. It is however, a large task, since there’s a lot to this program! I’m going to start with a short description of each control in YammieQ and go from there. Stay tuned.

When using YammieQ & the CL Editor - even though I start with CL3 selected, once YammieQ connects, the editor switches to CL5. I don’t remember if this behavior happens when connected with an actual console or not. I can check later this week.
I see that. I had only tested it with the CL editor in “CL5” mode and didn’t realize that YammieQ was changing it’s mode. I believe I have fixed this, and have tested it with the editor, but I’m concerned that the fix might break it’s communication with a physical CL5 console. I’ve attached the update here for you to test with the console to see if it still connects properly. (Assuming your using the LAN connection on the console)
If all is well, I’ll post it to the main YammieQ page. The attached file is just the .exe. Throw it in the same folder as you have YammieQ in now. Rename the old YammieQ.exe if you like to save it in case this new one fails.

The “Options” dialog/window appears before the splash screen has gone away, partially obscuring it, at least for me.

Yeah, I wanted the Splash screen to not impede someone wanting to get started right away, so you can access the Options screen immediately. I’ve moved the Splash screen to the top left of the screen now so the Options Dialog isn’t blocking it or it’s not blocking the Options Dialog, whichever way it was before… See if that’s better.

Feature request:

Is there a way to trigger off of a range of fader values? My kind of silly proof of concept was mapping the lamp brightness to a fader via YammieQ. I discovered it was hard to hit a certain 1 of 1024 value, as it currently is now. I work outdoors in the evening so the ambient light changes everyday and it’d be great to dim/brighten all the settings at once with more options than just bright & dark.

Not currently, but it seems that something that needs to be added is the ability to map a trigger value to to a parameter value. This would be very handy to allow one control’s value to change the value of another. Right now a trigger value is only used to select a particular cue. Look for this update in the near future. (hopefully)

Thanks Andy. I’ll test it as soon as I can.

I hear you on the documentation & I know what a big job it is. With the first setup instructions, I’m imagining it could be as easy as copying what you already wrote on the forum, stick it in a readme text file and include it in the zip file. I try & keep my show computers off the internet unless they need to phone home for something, thus my preference for local documentation.

Done.

Still working on documenting the various dialogs and controls of YammieQ. It’ll take a while.