Building Companion

Hi Andy,
This all looks very interesting.
I’m hopefully about to have a look at your companion build.
Did you build for raspberry PI?
I am wanting to do a custom build for Mac, but my skills only go as far as building apps in Xcode.
Any pointers to resources would be more than appreciated.
Keep up the great work
Leigh

Welcome, Leigh;

Yes, there’s a Raspberry PI build on the download page. I haven’t checked it for a while, but it certainly was working. You’ll need an RPI4 with 4mb for it to run reasonably.

Write back if you find any problems or have questions!

Ah. Sorry for my confusing post!
I don’t have a Raspberry PI, I am hoping to be able to do a build for Mac.
I can’t find any hint of how to do so on the web.

I don’t understand your question.

Please have a look here and write back if you have any questions.

Ah, ok, let me try to put it another way.

So, the question is not ‘where can I get your builds?’ (I already downloaded and had a look and it looks very comprehensive and well thought out, and will almost definitely be of great use to me moving forward).

I hope to build my own edited version of the companion source code, for Mac (from the GitHub repository).
Unfortunately I don’t have the skills or knowledge how to do the build (but I’m ok on the code changes that I hope to implement), as I have only built plugins and apps in an Xcode environment.
So I wondered if you had any pointers on how to go about doing this.
thanks,
Leigh

Understood.
Which module are you interested in updating?

It is actually for a different implementation to yours, to deeply integrate the stream deck with Reaper, for which I intend to use bidirectional OSC.
I also wish to get rid of the display header on the displays as my eyes find it just that little bit too annoying!
I’m not trying to prise your source code out of you :slight_smile: it’s just learning how to do a build without the luxury of an existing Xcode project that I’m wanting to learn how to do!
Did you use the GitHub Companion source code as a start point? Or are you even smarter than I thought you were!
Cheers,
Leigh

Ah! Interesting. I too am working on an OSC project for Reaper, but not for SD. There’s already a Companion module for that. But perhaps you’d like to compare notes?

I also wish to get rid of the display header on the displays as my eyes find it just that little bit too annoying!
Good luck with that. People have been asking about how to do that for years!

I’m not trying to prise your source code out of you :slight_smile: it’s just learning how to do a build without the luxury of an existing Xcode project that I’m wanting to learn how to do!
Did you use the GitHub Companion source code as a start point? Or are you even smarter than I thought you were!
Lol! I ain’t that smart, believe me.
I had to teach myself JS and NodeJS, and luckily the companion programmers took pity on me and my stupid questions. It took a while, but it wasn’t like I had anything else to do while my industry crumbles!
All the source code is freely available to anyone who wants to tinker with it, including my modules. :slight_smile:
You’ll want to join their slack group if you have questions about how to do things within Companion. Read all the Wikis first, though! Don’t be “that guy”! :wink:

If you are interested in collaobrarting on some OSC stuff, send me a PM and we can talk more.

All very interesting stuff.
I’ll drop you a pm later.
Cheers
Leigh