Change Name on Button

I can certainly do that! I won’t be able to get to testing that until next Monday though but i’ll let you know when, if, i run into anything.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hello all!
I am unsure if I have discovered a bug, or if I’m doing something incorrectly.
When attempting to set InCh/Label/Name with an custom variable, instead of sending the text stored within the variable, companion will attempt to send $(internal:custom_myVar), of which the QL5 limits down to the first 8 characters.
Both companion and QL5 are up-to-date.

Any assistance is appreciated,
Thanks!

I’ll check that. Thank you for reporting it!

1 Like

Just checked it. Works fine for me. Can you do some screenshots of your variables page and log?

Here are my screenshots. My next course of action would be a clean install of companion.

firefox_zZV6CzivUq
firefox_zTr4qC718B
firefox_lMLTrVKlXa

You’re not running my build. My changes haven’t been incorporated into the bitfocus build.
Download the build here and give it a try.
https://discourse.checkcheckonetwo.com/t/custom-companion-build-for-yamaha-and-a-h/2248/4

1 Like

My bad! I didn’t realize it was a separate build… :sweat_smile: Works like a charm!
Thanks a bunch!

1 Like

Hi Andy,
I am new to SD and I am trying to work out if this is the solution that I am looking.
I have been reading this over and I think I am missing something.
I have 3 sound desk that I would like to label from a pool of names.
I would like to select an input channel and then select a name to label it with and it will label all the desks with the same name.
I can’t seem to get it to work this what is written in this thread.
Help please.
Thanks so much.

Are you looking to type the names when they change or have the names on buttons that you can choose from?

I am looking at having names on each of the different buttons.
EG, Fred, Peter…etc
Have buttons labeled mic 1, mic 2…etc
Then bing able to select a mic and then a name from the selection of names available and it will label all 3 desks.
Hope that makes sense.

Import this setup. (Make sure to export your current setup so you don’t over-write it)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/szjq9zdh6nvjd2o/Set%20Ch%20Names%20demo.companionconfig?dl=1

Basically uses a custom variable to store which channel you’ve selected. Then when you press the name button, it changes that channel to the name of that button. Modify and add to it as you like, but it should be fairly clear how it works.

Feel free to write back if you have any questions or it doesn’t work the way you hoped.

1 Like

That works great.
Thanks heaps.
The only issue, is when I add a second desk to the name using the same setup, only first desk changes name.
I have sent a screen shot.

I have a couple of other requests now that we are heading in the right direction:
Would it be possible to add an output to the channel being changed?? EG, Changes the input channel name and a mix name at the same time?
Also, would it be possible to add something to the name that doesn’t change.
EG, when you press ‘Select CH42’ the number ‘42’ is always written on the label and the name is added at the end.
So the label name ends up saying ‘42 Fred’ for example.

You are awesome at what you do.
Much appreciated.

You’re welcome!

So, is it connecting properly to the other desk?

Send me a screenshot of the module log when you’re trying one of the buttons.
You open the module log by clicking on the “>_” icon beside the module name.

Try this to show the channel number before the channel name.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ilh1j1zu3irinpy/Set%20Ch%20Names%20demo%202.companionconfig?dl=1

To change the mix name at the same time, just add another custom variable called “Mix_Num” or something, add the same type of action on the Select buttons but one that changes the Mix_Num variable. Then add an action to the name button that sets “Mix/Label/Name”, using this new variable as the Mix number and the name that you want. Give it a try, if you get stuck write back.

1 Like

It’s working amazingly!!!
Thanks so much for your help!

I have noticed that the Inch/Label/name on the Rivage desk doesn’t show a value field.
If you are able to fix it…

Thanks

Good catch! Not sure what happened there but I’ll look into it.
For now, you can select CL/QL and it will work on the Rivage if you’re not using scene stuff.

Try the 3.0.5 module here and let me know if that fixes the Rivage issue.
https://discourse.checkcheckonetwo.com/t/latest-v3-modules/3460

Be sure to follow the instructions on how to incorporate 3.0.5 into companion.
https://discourse.checkcheckonetwo.com/t/v3-rcp-module-installation-instructions/3458

Did you have a chance to try this yet, @Asplet ?

Hi Andy,
Will this work for both Windows and Macs? I am running Windows 11.

Also, after a bit of a play around with what I learnt from you, I have made some changes to the way the name change works and simplified it a bit.
I only need one variable now to run it.

I have done it where you select the name first and is captured by the variable.
This then sends you to a second page where the list of mics is shown (in my case we use the term RX).
And pressing the mic number, this sends the name to each of the desks listed under that button.

That’s great!
Did you try the updated version on your Rivage?