Com Squawker

Do you ever use a small (powered) monitor and mic pair at FOH and MONs to talk back and forth? Usually see these at festivals, allows you to not have to wear com and keeps your hands free while you converse back and forth between MONs and FOH regarding patch or whatever.

Have you ever had that situation where the monitor tech won’t answer his com even though you’ve been calling him for hours?

Well, this circuit I designed allows you to both those things, interfaced with your com. If you already have com between FOH and MONs, using this circuit, you just add a powered monitor (I’ve used even computer speakers on the doghouse) to it. The way it works is that when you press AND HOLD the call button on the com, it activates the remote speaker so you can talk (or YELL) at the tech at the other end. The speaker is only active when you are holding the call button, and your local speaker is not active (so you don’t get feedback). Note that J1 and J2 are XLRs, J3 is a 3.5mm TRS in my case going to a powered computer monitor.

Seems to work in testing, but since I’m working in theatres now and have a monitor tech who I’ve never needed to yell at, I don’t use it. I think it would be very handy (and cheap) if you’re handy with a little simple electronics.

That’s a nice gadget idea.
So you can transmit urgent information faster.

I usually try to yell at FOH mixers when I do monitors :wink: Something like “open that darn mic, host on stage…”

What I try to build now is a optical activated “yell-mic” on stage for performers. I think I’ve seen that optical gate somewhere, can’t remember.

Well, you’d normally have 2 of these devices, one at each end. Maybe when I’m working some festivals next summer I’ll try it out.

What I try to build now is a optical activated “yell-mic” on stage for performers. I think I’ve seen that optical gate somewhere, can’t remember.
You’re probably thinking of this: http://www.performing-musician.com/pm/apr09/articles/optogate.htm
Optogate might have gone out of business, their web site is down.:eusa_think:

[EDIT] Temporary problem it seems. Website is working now. http://www.optogate.com/

Great idea for another item to add to the workbox.

Just for getting the attention of the other engineer, I’ve added peizo buzzers to some Clearcom-compatible beltpacks. Pick one that will run on the same voltage as the call light (at least on old-style boxes with incandescent call lights), add a connector out to a small box with the buzzer (and a switch if you want to turn it off sometimes.)

Just what I’m looking for!