Custom commands

Is there a way to use this to throw our own commands at the mixer?

No.

The FaderBank commands are part of the SCP commands for the CL/QL. I don’t know if the TF has custom banks? It doesn’t have any SCP commands for them if it does.

Yes, it has a custom bank, and I think it has DCA spill, but I’m more interested in looking for other functions. Are custom commands a thing you could implement? Or are you still just in SCP at this point?

You’re talking about commands over and above the SCP commands?

Well, I am working on something for the CL/QL that will implement all the MIDI SysEx commands that it has (which is basically every parameter on the board), but I don’t know if the TF utilizes that format. There’s nothing in the documentation about what format the additional commands are in, and I can’t sniff the data from the editor without a console to connect to.

Maybe when I get the CL/QL module done we can do some sniffing of the TF packets and see what it uses for commands for the other parameters.

Are Macros working for you?

Yes, macros work.
We should be able to watch the TF editor with Wireshark, no?

That’s one way. How’s your Wireshark-foo?

You’d be looking for typical SysEx-style strings, starting with 0xF0 and ending with 0xF7

I Capture Filtered the mixer address, host: 192.168.0.128, and then on the mixer in Setup I switched one of my user knobs back and forth between input gain and HPF. In the stream, I can see the text ConsoleSetup 1 HPF, and ConsoleSetup 1 INPUT GAIN.

Interesting! I assume this is with the editor and TF connected?

I might be able to make this easier if the console just “talks” to the computer without requiring a bunch of complex handshaking between it and the editor. The Editor I could not get to “speak” to a sniffer directly, there’s some message it’s waiting for from the TF I suspect. That may not be true the other way.

Do you want to figure this out? We can do a TV or Zoom session to see what’s what, might save you some time.

Correct, editor and wireshark on a laptop talking to a TF. The messages were buried in a sea of keep alives and things I couldn’t decipher. I could send you a bit of the log.

(message needs to be 10 characters)

Got it.

You wanna work on this together in a couple of days?

Sure. Wide open schedule.

Ok. It’s probably possible to get the info via Wireshark, but filtering out the stuff you don’t wanna see and making sure you don’t miss something important can be difficult. I’m no expert on that program either.
Once I know the addresses and ports, I tend to use my own tools (which are better suited for finding exactly what we’re looking for) for sniffing. We can remotely do that via TV or whatever.

I’ll ping you.

Thanks!

Looks like there’s some back-and-forth initialization messages I’m missing.

Can you fire up Wireshark, start recording.
Then open the editor, connect to the console, but don’t sync (if there’s an option to not sync)
Move a fader or do 1 think on the editor, confirming that the console follows.
Close the editor
Stop Wireshark recording.
Send the Wireshark capture file.

There’s no connect without sync option, sorry.
I started Wireshark with a mixer IP address capture filter.
Launched TF Editor, connected, waited while it synced, paused a bit, and then turned on CH1 from the editor.
Stopped recording.

Got it. I’ll play around and see if I can get the editor to “see” my computer…

No go. There’s some “trick” I can’t seem to duplicate. They aren’t making this one easy.

So, I don’t think connecting to the Editor is gonna be possible. Not sure if the console spits out messages without the editor, but the CL/QL does, so you could give that a try, you never know.

Wireshark record with just the console connected and move a fader or something.

Apparently not. If I capture filter on the mixer’s IP address, I get nothing. If I don’t, I get lots, but nothing related to the mixer.