DTR Range In Wood Area

I am interested in hearing from anybody that may have tried the DTR radios in a wooded environment. I am quite sure that the range will be very limited on 900 MHz in the woods, but I am just trying to get a feel for how much. Could I still, reliably, get a 1/4 mile or is that optimistic?

I’ve measured a range of ~3300 ft from one radio in my living room, through a row of houses and about 2000 ft of forest to the other radio in my car. If both radios are out in the open, I would expect range to be even better.

In a suburban environment along a road with elevation changes, I’ve measured a range of 1.3 miles car to car. I’ve seen reports of unobstructed range over water of ~10 miles.

The lower the Mhz the better the signal in trees. A lot will depend if it is hilly or not as well as how dense the leaves are and if there are other strong 900Mhz sources in the area. I think 1/4 mile would be fine. Of course your mileage may vary.

In actual tests of wooded areas, I have found that they perform just as good, if not better, than any other business-class VHF or UHF radio.