error when attempting to configure MIDI

Figures I’d be the guy to get the error message when attempting to use SOF…

My setup:

Yamaha LS9-32 connected via CAT5e cable to a Linksys wireless router.
Rack-mounted Win XP PC connected via CAT5e cable to the same router.
Samsung tablet PC connected wirelessly to the same router.

Everything works fine under “normal” operating conditions. The LS9 can be controlled from either the rack-mounted PC or the tablet PC, running Studio Manager (not at the same time).

I chose to try SOF on the rack-mounted PC first.
Downloaded and unzipped SOF to a new folder.
Per the PDF instructions, I downloaded and installed MIDI Yoke.
Re-configured Studio Manager and LS9 Editor according to the instructions/screenshots.
Started SOF. When I clicked on MIDI to configure the MIDI ports, I got the attached error message.
When I clicked “continue”, I could configure the MIDI IN port under “Console”, but the DME/LS9 Metwork MIDI ports were missing as options from the MIDI OUT box. Both boxes under Studio Manager were greyed out and blank.

Any thoughts? This app looks great, and I’d like to get it going.

Interesting. I’ve not seen that problem before. The error is not a problem, it just means that it’s trying to identify a MIDI device that isn’t installed. Normally the error is supressed in the software and should not pop up like that. I assume you are using the SOF version that’s here: http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com/forum/showthread.php?980-Sends-on-Fader-v-1-10-8-1 ?

I see you’re using XP, it’s not x64 is it?

Can you show me the studio manager midi setup screen and the SOF midi setup screen?

Andy:

You can see the screen captures here:

http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B28SddRvow5GNTNkMzkxNmEtOTk0Mi00YTJkLWJjMjUtMzQ3MTBhYWU4NDY4&hl=en

(hopefully – first time I’ve tried sharing a Google document)

Yes, I’m running XP (not XP 64).

I’ll double check the version #, but I downloaded it recently, right from this forum.

Thanks for your help,
Garrett

Hello again;

Although you aren’t having trouble with connecting the LS9 to your computer directly, it seems that there’s an issue very much like other people have had with the DME driver. Can you try the following to see if it helps?
http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/296638/270/?srch=studio+manager+output+error#msg_296638

No such luck…

Those instructions appear to be directed toward Win Vista users. They also appear to be pretty much the standard network setup instructions, and I know the network part of things appears to be working.

ACK!

Thanks for your reply.

Is there another PC you can try this on? I really can’t imagine what’s keeping the ports from showing up.

You could also try the x64 version (which should work on x86 too)… http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com/forum/showthread.php?1019-sof-and-midiyok-whit-win7

If someone else had ever reported this problem I’d have more to go on. I’m not saying that there isn’t a bug, but there has to be something particular to your setup that it’s choking on.

I’m happy to keep working on this as long as you are… :frowning:

Try using Maple midipipes from Maplemidi.com. They worked for me when Midiyoke did not, can be seen by MidiOx and configured in the same way. Apparently MidiYoke pipes “mess” directly with the Studio Manager code.

Worth a try!
PS you dont need the Maplemidi tools, just the Virtual Midi driver.

As SOF is tied to Midiyoke 1 and 2 (I believe, maybe I am wrong Andy), just put the Maple pipes in between SM2 and the MidiYoke pipes.
Ie connect SM2 only to Maple pipes 1 and 2, and do the rest of the patch in MidiOx.

David Kent.

Thanks for the tip, but just to be clear, MidiYoke does not mess with anything. SM just needs to see midi ports, and MidiYoke creates them.

Worth a try!
PS you dont need the Maplemidi tools, just the Virtual Midi driver.

As SOF is tied to Midiyoke 1 and 2 (I believe, maybe I am wrong Andy), just put the Maple pipes in between SM2 and the MidiYoke pipes.
Ie connect SM2 only to Maple pipes 1 and 2, and do the rest of the patch in MidiOx.

David Kent.

SOF is not tied to, but does default to those MidiYoke ports. Right-clicking and selecting “Enable All Settings” will allow you to set other ports.

I am sorry I think that I explained myself very badly. I am very embarassed to be posting like this, as I cannot claim to be any kind of expert. However I get an SM2 hang EVERY time that I connect SM2 to Midiyoke drivers as soon as I move a control on SM2.
Here is a quote from MidiOx.com site administrator replying to someone elses problem

<<< I think this is more likely a mis-reporting of CPU usage. Almost a certainty if it goes away when disabling hyper-threading. MIDI Yoke does create threads on behalf of clients opening them. Each client opening either end of a MIDI Yoke port has a thread created on its process. These threads spend most of their life suspended, but wake up when messages arrive to marshall them through to the other side. This is contrary to normal Windows drivers, but MIDI Yoke is not a normal driver (there is no kernel mode component).
A re-compilation will make no difference: I suggest you try the Maple Drivers if you are concerned about this CPU usage report. They have a real kernel mode driver component and fit better with the standard Windows model than MIDI Yoke. Get them here: http://www.marblesound.com/Maple_driver.html >>>>

They I am sure know more about this than I ever could - although the CPU usage report is genuine as my laptop starts to burn my knees and it’s fan goes to max immediately - they do seem to recommend not using their own drivers under Windows if one has a problem.

David Kent.