external (hardware) MIDI controllers and the LS9

I’ve been playing around with a Behringer BCN44 MIDI controller, attempting to use it as a UDK expander for the LS9. So far I’ve had reasonable success, using it as a mute master panel, momentary talk switch panel to the auxes, and basic MIDI machine control for the USB player. It’s like having 24+ additional UDKs on a device that fits nicely in the blank space to the left of the LCD on the LS9-32.

In working with the NRPN messages, I’ve noticed a few odd things about the way the parameter assignments are arranged, and I was wondering if anyone could offer any logic as to WHY things are arranged the way they are.

For examples:

1. INPUT FADER NRPN assignments are HEX 0000-0047. However, I found out the hard way that they are not arranged as channels 1-64 and ST1-4. They are actually channels 1-48, then ST1-4, then channels 49-64. WHY?

2. INPUT1-56, ST1-4 TO MIX 1-8 LEVEL is in a separate block of parameters from INPUT57-64 TO MIX 1-8 LEVEL. WHY?

3. How are the head amp NRPN assignments arranged? The manual lists values for GAIN1 through GAIN8. Is gain 1 channels 1-8, gain 2 channels 9-16, etc?

Thanks,
– Garrett

Good idea. I actually considered modifying my “Change Recorder” program to allow an unlimited number of UDKs, that can perform multiple functions. Dunno if that would be something that people would be interested in…

In working with the NRPN messages, I’ve noticed a few odd things about the way the parameter assignments are arranged, and I was wondering if anyone could offer any logic as to WHY things are arranged the way they are.

For examples:

1. INPUT FADER NRPN assignments are HEX 0000-0047. However, I found out the hard way that they are not arranged as channels 1-64 and ST1-4. They are actually channels 1-48, then ST1-4, then channels 49-64. WHY?

2. INPUT1-56, ST1-4 TO MIX 1-8 LEVEL is in a separate block of parameters from INPUT57-64 TO MIX 1-8 LEVEL. WHY?
    I’m quite sure it’s historical. You need to remember that when Yamaha started this, they had an 8 channel DMP7 digital mixing console. The next one was the PROMIX01, a 16-channel digital console. In the analogue world, 24 channel consoles were very common. A LARGE console was 32 channels and if you had a 40-channel console you were one of the “big boys”. Probably the Gamble EX56 wasn’t even out yet. To get a MIDI format that would work across all the Yamaha line, someone at Yamaha had to decide what the highest number they’d ever need was. Well, they probably settled on a 48mono+4stereo as the BIGGEST they’d ever need. Kinda like Intel deciding that 640kb was all anyone would ever need for their PC! :icon_rolleyes:
    Anyway, when you think about that, 56 makes sense. So once consoles became bigger, instead of making all the MIDI info non-backwards-compatible, they just added more numbers at the end.

1. How are the head amp NRPN assignments arranged? The manual lists values for GAIN1 through GAIN8. Is gain 1 channels 1-8, gain 2 channels 9-16, etc?
    Here’s how they work on the PM5D-RH, The LS9 would be similar I would think:

[ul]
[li]3B06 AD824 #1 GAIN ch1
[/li]nr[li]3B07 AD824 #2 GAIN ch1
[/li]nr[li]:
[/li]nr[li]3B0D AD824 #8 GAIN ch1
[/li]nr[li]3B0E INPUT1 GAIN
[/li]nr[li]3B0F INPUT9 GAIN
[/li]nr[li]3B10 INPUT17 GAIN
[/li]nr[li]3B11 INPUT25 GAIN
[/li]nr[li]3B12 INPUT33 GAIN
[/li]nr[li]3B13 INPUT41 GAIN
[/li]nr[li]3B14 ST IN1L GAIN
[/li]----------------------
[li]3B16 AD824 #1 GAIN ch2
[/li]nr[li]3B17 AD824 #2 GAIN ch2
[/li]nr[li]:
[/li]nr[li]3B1D AD824 #8 GAIN ch2
[/li]nr[li]3B1E INPUT2 GAIN
[/li]nr[li]3B1F INPUT10 GAIN
[/li]nr[li]3B20 INPUT18 GAIN
[/li]nr[li]3B21 INPUT26 GAIN
[/li]nr[li]3B22 INPUT34 GAIN
[/li]nr[li]3B23 INPUT42 GAIN
[/li]nr[li]3B24 ST IN1R GAIN
[/li][/ul]I’ve mentioned to Yamaha a few times how annoying this is. I’m sure it must be a hardware thing because it makes no logical sense. Not something that will likely change for us, though. :BangHead:

I haven’t looked into this for quite some time, but it seems to me another annoyance is that the AD824 gains are the gains of that actual unit, not the assigned channel, whereas the other gains are for the AD that is assigned to a channel. e.g. if you adjust NRPN 0x3B0E (Gain Ch1), and channel 1 has AD3 assigned to it, you’re adjusting AD3. At least that’s the way I think it works…