First Post - Motorola DTR 650 Radios

Hello All,

I’m new to this group and am trying to program 2 older DTR radios (one DTR 650 and one DTR550) to work with 30 newer DTR 650 that are owned by a local Airplane Museum in the Metro Detroit Area. The two older radios have firmware the can’t be read by the CPS that I have.

I’m hoping that the zip files that are posted here will work. Will keep you posted of my progress.

I found this site on radioreference.com through a link.

Regards,
Kevin

Welcome, Kevin!

Let us know how it all works out and/or if you run into any difficulty with the firmware updates.

Hi Andy,
After reading your part 1 and 2 it seems that the two radios we have are Rev. 1. non removable antennas type. I don’t have a flash cable and can’t seem to find one on the internet. Is this the only way to flash them?
Regards, Kevin

Hi All,

Do I need to flash the firmware, or is there a CPS that works with the Rev. 1 type radios that will allow us to program them to work with our existing fleet of newer radios? This must sound like a Newby Question. :slight_smile:

Regards, Kevin

Yes. It’s the only way. See here.

If you want to use them with CPS, then they need to have the firmware upgraded. See here.

Hi Andy,

Newby Question #2. Can you plug a cloning cable into a Rev.1 radio and clone it from a Rev.3 radio without flashing the firmware?

Also thanks for the link to the Flash Cable on shopwiscomm.com site. As soon as some spare money is available I’m ordering one.

Regards, Kevin

Hi Andy,

BTW, you are helping educate three of us at Yankee Air Museum. Will try to keep the Newby Questions to a minimum.

Regards, Kevin

I haven’t tried, but my guess would be yes, it would copy the settings (the ones that are available on the Rev1 anyway).

Also thanks for the link to the Flash Cable on shopwiscomm.com site. As soon as some spare money is available I’m ordering one.

Seems like these things are getting rarer!

That’s great! I added this information about the DTRs to my forum because there’s almost nothing out there. Have a look around and if the questions aren’t already answered, ask away! :cool:

By the way Kevin, you can program them right from the keyboard. They will talk to the other radios, and you can put each one on every other radio’s call list. The only thing you can’t do is to change the names from a long number (“12326668” for example) to something that makes more sense (“shop,” “front desk,” etc.) Just remember that to communicate with the other radios, the new ones must be set to the same channel ID number and group ID number. You can find that information on the CPS or you can read it right off the screen of the existing radios. If the existing radios are set to, for example, channel 1 group ID 1, change the new ones to channel 1 group ID 1. I am not going to explain how to program them from the keyboard because it is quite extensive but it is right in the manual.