Have you met or solved this proglem?

I have used Motorola DTR walkietalkie for several years, and bought them 3 times(I think I have all 3 version firmware). After I had used for about 3 years, the elastic rubber cover layer around the case becames sticky, soft and easy broken, and its color becomes white. Everytime I had to buy new ones because this model is very great and hard to find replacement.
So I have a dozen of this machines at last. How can I provent this situation again?

Another help: does anyone have the update programming cable internal picture? For it’s hard to buy one in my region. I am a electronic engineer, I think I can make it myself if had any information or referance.

Hello and welcome!

I’ve never heard of this problem with the rubber. Do you live in an area near the sea with lots of salt in the air?

There is so little information about anything to do with these radios (other than here), that I can’t imagine there’s any chance of finding a schematic for the programming cable. Are you unable to purchase from amazon or ebay?

Sir here is the number for the programming cable Motorola 0105950U15

You can do an internet search and find several of them for sale. I think I paid roughly thirty dollars for my cable. They come ready for a serial port, so one would need to also pickup and adapter to use it on USB ports. I seriously doubt you can find a schematic for this cable anyplace. As Andy stated, Motorola has not furnished much information for these dandy little radios.

You can also purchase parts for them from several suppliers. Using a T6 driver, you can completely disassemble these radios. Fronts and backs are available, as well as several other items.

As for your question about the rubber, I have no clue why they would become sticky and change colors. Are they exposed to high temperatures for long periods of time, or even chemical fumes in the air? I have seen rubber handked screw drivers do what your talking about. I always thought this was caused from different cleaning solvents we used. We have several of these radios in service for many years, and never an issue with the rubber.

I think he’s referring to the flash cable, I paid about $80 for it, but you found it for a little cheaper.

Thanks for your kindly replies.
Just as Andy said, I live near sea, and the air temperature is a little high(I think more than 20 centigrade in year’s average). I don’t know if they are root causes, because I havn’t do anything bad to the walkietalkies, and my tools with rubber cover(sth. like screw drivers) never found this issue.
That’s right, I just ask if it’s a common phenomenon.

I live in a city in China adjoining Hongkong. I can find the flashing cable from Amazon(and just this is a make sense way), but have some difficults in payment. I found the website just few days ago, had the information about flashing firmware upgrade. I can buy the cable through friends or colleague in US. That’s not a problem but need time.
So I think if someone has a picture of PCB(not schematic drawing), I can see why the flashing cable is much expensive than program cable. And if there were not special parts, can I make one by DIY.

Thanks again.

The last bought good three ones with the antennas made by myself.

the bad 6 talkies

and the back sight is as following, the black rubber became white, and very easy break into pieces even by nail