Lighting console control via MIDI

the DMX operator responds to Notes. Which when looking at the UDK’s of the 01v it seems to do.

I’m just not sure if I have the other Midi functions set up right, as I’ve never used midi before.

I have a UDK set up to send a midi note 0 so it should turn on bank 1 scene 1’s preset, but it doesn’t seem to be doing anything… I’m guessing its a setting on the 01v I haven’t set up correctly.

Few things to check - make sure the MIDI channel of the 2 devices is the same. Go to the MIDI setup page on the 01V96 and select MIDI ch 1 for all the TX options. I don’t know which of those settings controls where the UDK note on/note off messages come from, so set them all until you figure that out.

Make sure the lighting console is set to receive MIDI on ch 1 or OMNI.

Using a program like MIDI-OX is invaluable to figuring out MIDI information, but you’ll need to understand more about MIDI messages first to know what it is you’re looking at and for.
I learned about MIDI many many years ago, so I don’t quite know where to point you, but here might be a good start: OpenStax

Questions? Ask away and I’ll do what I can to help.

Have you been able to get anywhere with this?

If not, then let me know how you have your console MIDI setup done.
Do you have a link to the manual for the Elation?

hi, I’m just browsing possibilities of using the LS9’s Midi environment to control the go-button on a light console. We’ll see…

Interesting. What do you want to have control the “go”, scene change or something else? What lighting console do you have?

I have used the 5D to do GO on an ETC and a HOG… IIRC, I set it up so scene changes on the 5D fired scene changes on the light board. If you wanted to have lighting changes without audio you just duplicated the scene…
This made me realize I wanted Yamaha to have scenes with ‘point’, eg. scene 13.5 etc… makes programming this a lot easier.

JP

It’s too bad that you can’t send program changes (or MIDI messages) from the Event List. That would solve the problem.

Well finally getting back to this. Found I had a control change option on the 01v off. turned that one and i’m good to go. set up my UDK’s to my light scene’s I want and its great to be able to do this from one control survace.

New question… is there a way to send midi notes from a laptop?

so for instance I have my 01v set up wirelessly with a silex unit and thats all working. could i use the Yamaha USB to midi driver stuff I set up originally to send a midi note with another program running on the laptop? or is that midi driver/interface only able to be used with Studio manager?? Can two programs access it at the same time?? I don’t have my 01v in front of me (burried in a trailer right now, so i’m not able to check this, and was just wondering if anyone else has tried this.

Cool!

New question… is there a way to send midi notes from a laptop?
There are many programs that do that. I would suggest something like Bornes MIDI Translator (MIDI Translator Pro – Bome Software) or MIDI-OX (http://www.midiox.com/)

so for instance I have my 01v set up wirelessly with a silex unit and thats all working. could i use the Yamaha USB to midi driver stuff I set up originally to send a midi note with another program running on the laptop? or is that midi driver/interface only able to be used with Studio manager?? Can two programs access it at the same time?? I don’t have my 01v in front of me (burried in a trailer right now, so i’m not able to check this, and was just wondering if anyone else has tried this.
I’m not sure if 2 programs can access the same MIDI port output, it would depend on many things in the way the software and drivers are written. If it doesn’t work, there are programs that would allow you to send MIDI messages (like notes) from it, and also pass through the MIDI info from SM. My SOF program works that way (but not using MIDI notes) so it’s completely possible.

So, finally revisiting this as Its now not just a pipe dream.

I downloaded both of those programs, but forgive me as I’m not that up to date on the midi scene. They don’t seem to do what i’m looking for…

What I’m looking for is literally, a set of computer UDK’s that I can assign midi functions to. so I can send a midi note 7 command with just clicking a button on my tablet PC…

I’m not really expecting a program out there that can do this. But I can dream… maybe in a few more semesters after I take another Visual Basic class I might have myself a class project on my hands. :smiley:

We’ll have to see.

Thanks for the information so far… I’m liking my yamaha board more and more.

Bome’s can send a MIDI message from a keypress. You could also just get a MIDI controller like the Behringer instead of using your computer…

Or maybe this program is more what you’re looking for:
http://www.audiovisualdevices.com.au/software/midibuttons/midibuttons.php

doing it from my tablet is the whole point, as then I don’t have to be near my FOH to do light changes. I can then run sound and lighting from a remote location via my tablet. I’ve already become fairly comfortable in running audio from the tablet. Lighting being the final one man small show band thing.

That midi button program looks to be exactly what I was looking for! I searched the past two nights and the one night out at the gig… But google and searching keywords is sometimes a bear to find something. Thanks!

I hope this will work, I’ll find out in the coming weeks. which would make a nice walk through for the boards here on how to pull this off if it works.

This program is great for this, just add the midi ox Y in there.

Haven’t tested it yet, but the prospects are outstanding.