MIDI Module JS Errors

Hey Andy - I’ve been doing a bit of testing today (have a CL5 sat next to me atm!) Downloaded your lastest version (Mac) and ran into the following errors.

1. Recorded some macros for Sends On Faders and Cue selection 1 thru 8, During recalling jus randomly stabbing at mixes and a JS error popped up. Attachment #1.
  2. Tried to reopen the application and another JS error popped up. Attachment #2

Hey Cliff;

Thanks for doing some more testing. Haven’t seen that error pop up before!
Do you happen to have any screenshots/captures of the debug log at that time?

Are you able to reproduce either of these errors?
Can you confirm for me the version of the MIDI module?

“Companion_YMIDI_v1.1.3.app” is not the name of the latest build.
It should just be named “Companion.app” (once unzipped)
Make sure you’ve deleted the old version and downloaded (and unzipped) the latest.

Hey Andy
I know that’s not the correct name of the app. I renamed it after unzip, because I already had a companion.app and a companion_YMIDI_v1.1.2.app in my apps folder.
I literally downloaded it today, and was going to rename it correctly once I’d ran it up and seen what version it really was.
Either way, the CL5 is back in the case now - working on something else atm - but I can’t seem to get the app to run at all again, even after a reboot. I keep getting this JS error.

Unfortunately I forgot to capture the log pages - sorry.

I’ll get it back out in the next day or so and try again.

Oh, ok, no problem. I talk to so many people of varying levels of computer expertise, I forget that you are all over it.

Ok, so you’re getting the above error with no console connected? Just as the software is loading?
If so, can you send me the debug log (after the part which lists all the modules)?

Basically, from what I can tell, the software received an unexpected string of data. I’d be VERY curious as to what that data was, which is what the log will show.

OK - Finally managed to get the desk out again.

Plugged everything up - tried to run up your latest version - and got the JS Err again. Attached (renamed the file with the build date now).

Tried running up v1.1.2, and managed to get the web GUI without a JS Err. Log attached.
Quit v1.1.2 - Ran up latest again.

JS Err happened again - but this time click OK on the error - and it went away and the GUI appeared.
Copied the Log straight away (incase it crashed) - attached.

Couldn’t get the MIDI module to run - sat there saying enabling.
SCP module ran up OK.

Not going to be able to test again on the desk for a while as it’s going back the warehouse later today…

Thank you Kirb.

Q1: How did you copy/paste the log? I’m finding that trying to copy from the webGUI never works.

Ok, looks like plenty of errors there.

First, it looks like you are using the SCP module AND the MIDI module together. I haven’t tested using them both together like that, so I’m not sure what sort of problems that might cause. Obviously, they SHOULD be able to co-exist, but it looks like they’re not at the moment. I would start with disabling the SCP module (deleting it would be even better).

Second, I see errors where Companion cannot find your db (database). I would export all your pages that you want to save, and then delete the db. It’s a file named simply db with no extension. On my computer it’s at

~/companion/

. Check there to see. Deleting it should recreate it.

Next, I see that it’s showing that it’s not connecting to the console (“socket not connected”). Are you definitely UNCHECKING the “Editor” selection in the options? Double-check the IP address. Often (Because of some bug in Companion) I have to disable and enable the module after making a change in the module settings, and then stop companion and re-start.

I feel that starting with a clean companion setup and these problems will go away. Let me know!

Copying the log was a simple case of clicking bottom right, dragging to top left of that window and Cmd-C. Nothing more than that…

I’ll do the other things you’ve suggested in the next couple of days. The desk has now unfortunately gone back to the warehouse.
But either way - I definitely didn’t have the Editor box ticked - and the desk was definitely responding correctly, as I was connecting to it via wifi, and I’d checked the IPs etc, Plus my iPad connected to the same access point was working fine.

Re using both modules together - this makes life a lot easier if you quickly need to use a function that’s available in there along with a bespoke midi command too. I know that the MIDI module can basically do it all - but in situations where you simply don’t have the time (pre show) to play and set things up - you just have to go with what you know and where things are easily accessible. Especially if you just need to add one command to an already programmed button and you don’t want to record the whole macro for the button all over again.

Like I say - I’ll try it again in a day or two with the editor connected.

It never seems to copy for me. Are you using MacOS? Safari? Something else? I wish they would add an “export logs” to companion!

But either way - I definitely didn’t have the Editor box ticked - and the desk was definitely responding correctly, as I was connecting to it via wifi, and I’d checked the IPs etc, Plus my iPad connected to the same access point was working fine.
Ok, thanks for verifying. The logs show that the console wasn’t connected, so that’s kinda weird! But, there’s a lot in those logs with the mix of SCP and MIDI stuff it’s a little difficult to see what’s going on exactly. I’ll have to see if I can write my own logs for the MIDI module at least. It will make troubleshooting easier.

Re using both modules together - this makes life a lot easier if you quickly need to use a function that’s available in there along with a bespoke midi command too. I know that the MIDI module can basically do it all - but in situations where you simply don’t have the time (pre show) to play and set things up - you just have to go with what you know and where things are easily accessible. Especially if you just need to add one command to an already programmed button and you don’t want to record the whole macro for the button all over again.
Copy that. As I say they SHOULD work together fine, but I haven’t been able to test that, since I don’t have a console.
Keep in mind that you should be able to use the Macro record function in the MIDI module to record an SCP command. (Haven’t tried this, but I think it SHOULD work). Obviously if you can’t get past the JS errors then this won’t help, but in the future it might if you’re looking to switch from SCP to MIDI.

[ol]
[li]Add a MIDI “Record Macro” key to the page[/li]nr[li]Press and hold the Record Macro key in the MIDI module until it turns Red[/li]nr[li]Press the SCP key that you want to record (the console will make the change and the Macro Key will record it)[/li]nr[li]Press the record macro key again to save the SCP key as a MIDI key.[/li][/ol]

If you could test at least that the MIDI module doesn’t give errors when the SCP module is disabled or deleted that would at least help me determine if it’s the interaction that’s causing a problem or something else.

Like I say - I’ll try it again in a day or two with the editor connected.
Cool. I’ll see if I can create an update with better logging to see if I can determine what’s happening.