Post-Fader Direct outs on LS9

Hi All, I found this forum whilst searching for a solution to the lack of a post fade Direct Out on the LS9. I eventually found a work-around using http://www.bome.com/midi/translator/ and the following codes:
Incoming midi trigger: F0 43 10 3E 12 01 00 33 00 00 00 oo 00 00 00 qq pp F7
Outgoing midi trigger: F0 43 10 3E 12 01 00 2F 00 02 00 oo 00 00 00 qq pp F7
It works by linking the Direct Out pot to the Channel fader.
I’m going to download SOF now, I suspect the above scenario isn’t covered by SOF, but maybe it could be integrated at a later date?

Interesting!
(To explain further, what he’s done is link the Direct Out Level to the Fader level to allow the Direct Out level to follow the level of the channel, essentially making the Direct Out become a post-fader Direct Out)
The only issue is that you lose control of the manual level of the direct out, but if it works for you then great!

Interestingly, this adds another feature - post-fader direct out with the signal tapped at the Pre-HPF or Pre-ATT position. Something only possible on a Digital desk, but not possible on any Yamaha desk without this mod.

Wouldn’t be too difficult to add to the program if there was sufficient interest and I can find some more time! :frowning:

I have been trying to make this work using the Bome Midi Translator and a USB to midi adapter, but I am having problems. The outgoing midi trigger info above may well be correct (however the “oo” in the string should be “00” instead). The incoming midi trigger info however I think is incorrect. Has anyone tried this? I am quite certain that the computer is communicating with the LS9 just fine. I think the real problem is coming up with the correct codes.

Thanks,
Tom

Any help would be much appreciated

oo qq pp are replaceable variables. (Values copied from the input to output)

oo is the channel #
qq pp is a 2-byte value for the fader level or direct out level, respectively.

Have a read of the Borne’s MIDI translator manual, around page 26 for more details.

Andy,

Thanks for clarifying the “oo” thing. I’ll look into that some more.

All I know is that given the “strings” above I could not make it work at all on the LS9. When I set the “midi incoming message trigger” into the “Capture Midi Mode” and move channel 1 fader up and down, I get a continuous controller value and NOTHING like the first string shown above. On the other hand, if I set the “outgoing Midi message” to “Capture Midi Mode” and turn the channel 1 direct output, I get exactly the string sting above except the “oo” is a “00”. I understand now that is a variable.

Why am I am I getting a continuous controller value with the channel faders? According to the post above they should be sys ex, right? Are there some other settings I’ve over looked because, as I said, presently the values above are not working for me? I have been able to confirm by temporarily setting the Bome midi translator to “midi thru”, that I am definitely passing midi to and from the LS9. It seems like I just have the wrong codes. I’m pretty ignorant about midi (come to think of it, quite a few other things too). Sorry.

Thanks for you help. Any other insights would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Do you have the MIDI settings on the LS9 set to “Parameter Change” TX & RX (and disable all other settings)?

If you’re getting CC message then you probably have “Control Change” TX enabled on the LS9.

I’ve been using this successfully for a while now. One other thing to try is switching from NRPN to Table in midi set up.
There is also another string/translator that I had to write to link the channel-on to the direct-on, unfortunately this is on a different PC that I won’t have access to for a week, when I do I’ll post it up and confirm the exact settings that work for me.

Andy & Arran,

IT REALLY WORKS! Thanks so much for the help. This has been a major issue for me because I do many events with the Shure SCM810 automixers and they work best by connecting them to post fader direct outs. So until now, when I needed to use automixers, I’ve had to bring out my “old” A&H GL2400 and a boat load of external processing, even though I’ve owned a LS9 for about 2 years!

Sure enough the codes in Arran’s orogian post above work just fine. The key for me (as Andy pointed out) seems to be to make sure the midi preferences in the LS9 are set so “Parameter Change” TX and RX active and everything else is disabled.

I had the “Control Change” TX and RX active which was apparently messing things up. When I disabled these, all was fine.

So Arran, how do you feel about using this setup for a live event? I’m a little nervious about the stability of the Bome Midi Translator and Windows XP. Heaven help me if it were to fail mid show. Is there such a thing as a midi translator stand alone “box”, something that I can set up using a PC, but once programed disconnect and use by itself? I think I’d feel more comfortable with that. Any suggestions for such a “box”? What about the “old” Opticode Midi Translator?

Thanks so much guys. I really appreciate it.

Tom

Glad you got it working. It’s a pretty neat workaround. I love that kind of stuff.

If you’re into automixers, you should try my automixer app and see how you like it. Works on the LS9 and M7CL.

If you want to know more about it, post a note in the AutoMixer forum: http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?7-AutoMixer

Glad you got it working! The application you’re using it for is exactly the same as mine (I own 3 scm810’s). I first ran a few shows feeding the Shures via mix buses with the midi tx running in the background to test stability. A safe option is to route all your mics to a mix buss but keep the fader down, if the midi tx crashes take your scm return fader down and bring up that mix buss and you’e got manual control back.

So what about using a stand alone midi translator “box”?

It seems to me that once such a device was programmed, it “might” be more stable, and it would eliminate another computer at FOH. Even better, it would allow me to hand it to another tech to use requiring vitually no training and only a little explanation.

The only thing I know of is the old Opticode Midi Tranaslator which I believe uses RS232. Would that work? Are there other current products on the market, preferably USB?

Thanks again,
Tom

Does your computer crash often? I can’t remember the last time my notebook crashed. Make a separate partition on your HD, put Windows 7 on it and keep it clean except for Studio Manager, MIDI drivers, etc. i.e. make your computer dual-boot with a clean partition that is used only for mission-critical stuff and another partition for internet, e-mails and whatever else you do with your computer. If you don’t have Windows 7, a copy of it will be cheaper than a hardware solution.

That being said, I just use my everyday notebook for all sorts of stuff and it doesn’t ever crash.

But, to answer your question, there is a stand-alone translator box, the MIDI solutions Event Processor: http://www.midisolutions.com/prodevp.htm.

Personally, I would just use my computer. It’s already connected for Studio Manager anyway… :slight_smile:

Arran,

Thanks for your input. I also have 3 SCM810’s plus an FP410. I use them for reinforcement, but I also use them quite a bit for unscripted video productions with groups of people who may speak at any time. I can’t understand why Yamaha dosn’t offer the option for post fader direct outs on the LS9, but until they do, I think Bome’s Midi Translator is an excellent idea. I really appreciate your work in this regard and posting it here.

Also thanks for the suggestion of routing the inputs to a bus which I could simply bring up if the computer were to fail. Great idea and much faster than having to go to each channel in an emergency and individually assign them while under pressure.

Tom

Sorry… forgot all about this, here’s the extra bit of code for linking ch ON to direct out ON:
Incoming
F0 43 10 3E 12 01 00 31 00 00 00 qq 00 00 00 00 pp F7

Outgoing
F0 43 10 3E 12 01 00 2F 00 00 00 qq 00 00 00 00 pp F7

The LS9 is set up
Parameter change TX and RX on, everything else off
Mode set to Multi and Table.

Arran,

That’s very cool. Thanks. It seems to me that there must be some other interesting things that could be done with the LS9 and a midi translator. Have you discovered anything else?

Thanks,
Tom

The only other application was in response to a thread on The Blue Room where someone wanted an auto-muting pre-fade AUX send; they were sending a pre-fade click track to monitors which they wanted to mute automatically when the fader was taken down in the main mix. I wrote a couple of translators which sent out AUX on/off signals at various dB levels from the ch fader. I don’t know whether they actually tried it though.
As for anything else I think I’m better at solving problems than imagining new uses.

Wow!

Arron, that sounds VERY usefull! I could definately make use of that “code”. Would you be willing to share it?

Thanks so much.

Tom

No Problem, here’s the code:

Auto mute mix sends on fader drop:
For this you’ll need 4 translators.
Tx1 incoming: F0 43 10 3E 12 01 00 33 00 00 00 qq 00 00 00 00 pp F7
Tx1 outgoing: F0 43 10 3E 12 01 00 43 00 03 00 qq 00 00 00 00 00 F7

Tx2 incoming: F0 43 10 3E 12 01 00 33 00 00 00 qq 00 00 00 01 pp F7
Tx2 outgoing: F0 43 10 3E 12 01 00 43 00 03 00 qq 00 00 00 00 00 F7

Tx3 incoming: F0 43 10 3E 12 01 00 33 00 00 00 qq 00 00 00 03 pp F7
Tx3 outgoing: F0 43 10 3E 12 01 00 43 00 03 00 qq 00 00 00 00 01 F7

Tx4 incoming: F0 43 10 3E 12 01 00 33 00 00 00 qq 00 00 00 05 pp F7
Tx4 outgoing: F0 43 10 3E 12 01 00 43 00 03 00 qq 00 00 00 00 01 F7

It works by sending out two mix OFF signals (one and a back up) near the bottom of the fader’s travel, and then two mix ON around -20dB (IIRC ).
Things to watch out for:
It’s only been tested on Studio Manager,
I can’t remember what mix it links to (almost certainly mix1). If you need it to control multiple mixes you’ll need to write extra translators.
It affects all the channels.

Try it and let me know how you get on.

Arran

This looks great, I’ve been waiting for post directs to come out in the long promised but never delivered version 2 LS9

Arran,

What is involved in figuring out these codes? Can you teach me how to do it, or is it just way too complicated?

I want to come up with “Auto mute mix sends on fader drop” also for the 01v96i?

I also want to come up with codes for BOTH the LS9 & 01v96i where you have pre fader direct outs ONLY when the fader is all the way down, but then the direct outs are muted when the fader is brought up. This is desirable when doing certain type of TV shows where the the control room wants to hear host’s, mic even when the board’s faders are all the way down, say between shows or between takes. Of course for this to work you would usually have the direct outs routed to a powered speaker separate from the “show mix” in the control room.

Thanks,
Tom