Programming DTR650

Hi, I try to update firmware on some DTR 410, 550 and 650 radios and program them. I know I can use mini keyboard to edit the contact list. But it is too expensive. Can I use program cable to do the same thing as mini keyboard? Thanks.

Yes. The Programming software is available here.

Thanks Andy. Thanks for the good job. Let me give you some background of the radio. Back in 1995, I was working for Nextel laying out its nationwide cellular network. Nextel was using iden radio at that time. The radio was just huge and about 1 lb. About 1997, Motorola released second version of IDen radio. It looks exactly like DTR. and we loved it. Nextel iDen shot signal to base station and from there to a central switch, and then back to other radio’s base station. You can think of it as a DTR but can reach any radio nationwide (or even world wide). The Nextel iDen radio using exactly the same technology on voice compression, but I remember it is on TDMA, frequency hopping. Later in 2010, I saw DTR and started to get some of them since it gave me some good old feeling.

I’m glad you found the information helpful.

Interesting about the history of the DTR. It’s a unique product for many reasons.

I believe here is what Motorola did on iDen radio: (1) change TDMA to spread spectrum. (2) get rid of the link to basestation (3) change the frequency to free band. All the else are kept the same. DTR’s strength is its frequency hopping and spread spectrum. Without these two, I would say it is not attractive. Its audio quality is not good since its codec (maybe early 1990 or late 1980 technology) is Motorola’s own and not performing as good as current codec in cellular phones (that is 1999 technology). we used to joke that it sounded like talking under the water. unfortunately, I think Motorola never updated its technology since 1997 and no one else has made good digital SS hopping radio since. With current technology and investment, I believe we can make smaller, lighter, better voice, better battery hours, and more User friendly radio.

It’s always amazed me that nobody makes an updated product with better audio quality.
I have to disagree that FHSS is it’s biggest strength. It’s using a license-free frequency that’s not congested (like 2.4ghz is) is it’s biggest plus, IMHO.

For me, the latency and audio quality/accessory volume are show-stoppers. For only those 2 reasons, I sold the 30+ units I had. Everything else about the radios was great!

iDEN history:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IDEN

MOTOTALK history:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOTO_Talk
This is where the DTRs came from.

Andy, what radios did you go to? I too am thinking of moving on for the exact same reason you mentioned. However, for what we are doing in extremely large multilevel warehouses, these work very well for us. The latency is driving me nuts though.

I bought some Vertex because they were programmable, but the Audio Quality was terrible too.
I was going to get into some Moto CP200D (the old standby) but I started going down the rabbit hole of full-duplex devices, but not really ready to spend the dough, especially in this economic climate!

I own a small fleet of DTR650 radios and a small fleet of DTR700 radios. I also have the Multi Unit Charger (MUC) for them. I used to own a small fleet of DLR1060 radios but I later sold them to a friend of mine for his business. At first he wasn’t sure what he was going to use them for except maybe to rent out to customers because he owns a 2-way radio shop. Now he and his employees use them ALL the time around the office and at job sites.

I am totally addicted to the DTRs and not about to move away from them anytime soon. Also my wife won’t let me because she likes using them too and prefers to use them over any conventional analog radio. (LOL) She is not ham or interested in learning about all things radio but she totally “gets it” when it comes to having radio communications for us to stay in touch. We routinely take a pair of DTRs with us and use them as part of our daily activities when we are out shopping or doing whatever.

The DTRs are my professional quality digital replacement for GMRS/FRS and MURS for local on-site simplex type use with family and friends because they work so well. A coworker once asked me why not just use FRS? My answer was that I have already been doing that since FRS was created in 1996 and longer than that as a GMRS licensee since 1992. I want an an all-digital solution that is higher quality and more professional than FRS. The fact that the DTRs are completely scanner proof comes as a bonus. I still have GMRS/FRS and MURS but they are no longer my default go-to modes for local on-site simplex type use.

There is absolutely no way I am parting with my DTRs anytime soon. :slight_smile:

I agree that the DTR series was exceptional and better than many other products (especially if you factor in price), if the audio limitations are not a problem for you.
For me, the latency and audio quality are showstoppers. Quite disappointing, but it’s the nature of the audio codec and processing system that they built these devices on, so there’s no getting around it! Also I now know why I never saw them used in the field I work in!