Support needed, dLive and Companion

Hi! Thanks for making this!
I have a setup with a QL5 and a Stream deck that works flawlessly. Super!

But now I try to do the same thing with a dLive S5000 and a DM48.
I can´t get it to work. Could someone please point me in the right direction as to how to set it up?

I have it set ut with a PC connected to a switch which also connects to the S5000.
If I try to connect to the mixers IP I only get a error message (something about MIDI).
If connected to the DM48 it says “Status OK”. But no commands work.
I tryed install the A&H Midi drivers on the PC but didn´t work either. Do you need this?

Please help!

You’re connecting to one of the network ports, not the GigaAce, or DX ports, right?

No.
Check your MIDI settings on your dLive. IIRC they need to be set to the default offset.

Hi! Thanks for the reply.
No the desk is connected on the Network port. I can control it with Director from the same PC.

Should I use the IP for the desk or the DM48?

I don’t find so many MIDI settings on the desk. Only channel-numbers. Tried them all but didn’t work.

The IP can be either the DM48 or surface IP, as long as the surface is connected to the DM48.

Regarding the MIDI settings, this is from the manual:

The base MIDI channel N is the lowest channel of the range selected in Utility / Control / MIDI.

Set it to 0 if it isn’t already. However, that setting shouldn’t affect settings like VSC and Talkback on/off. Check that those 2 commands are working?

Ok thanks for the reply. I’ll not be in the studio with the desk untill next week so will try all the tips then.
A good idea to update the system to 1.86?

If you like, it doesn’t affect the MIDI functions.

I got it up and running! I recalled the “reset midi” snapshot and after that it all works fine.

Future function request: To have the same functions as in the QL one, especially the ability to turn on/off a send from the master/matrix/aux.

Thanks!

1 Like

Good tip!

The A&H stuff has nowhere near the control possibilities of the Yamaha.
That’s as much as can be done with the dLive/iLive until they decide to add control. Unlikely that they will, though.

Ah I see. Made a setup for a Zoom/Teams operator to control some sends to/from Zoom/Teams. Had to double patch a lot of channels and auxes on the dLive since it only can control the mutes. But it´s working fine :slight_smile:

Hello everybody,

I got a problem with Companion an dLive as well. I think it’s a stupid user fault… The connection seems to work fine. I tried to use the streamdeck for “Mute Group Master” but I’m only able to “mute” OR “unmute” with the same button… I did the same with Companion and a SQ5 and it worked well… Did I miss any checkbox to get the same button to work for two functions?

Help much appreciated! :confused:

Is it that you want to Press once to mute, press again to Unmute? If so, you’ll need to add an action step. Step 1 Mutes, Step 2 UnMutes.

Thanks for the reply! Yes, that’s exactly what I tried to achieve and I thought (but will check again) that I exactly did what you suggest! Unfortunately it seemed that companion did both steps at the same time which ended in muting or unmuting depending which step was the first… Do you know, what I mean? That’s why I asked for something like a checkbox for “wait for second push for second action”…

Make sure they’re on separate steps. Send a screenshot of the 2 steps if you’re not sure.

I don’t think the dLive supports feedback so proper “toggling” is likely not possible, whereby the button “knows” the current state. i.e. if you have the group master muted by a button on the surface, Companion won’t know what “state” the Mute Group is currently in, so it might take 2 presses of the Companion button to get them in sync. It’s a limitation of the dLive control system, sadly.

You were absolutely right! I did two actions but not two steps. But even with two steps the problem stays the same! :thinking:

Isn’t it right that way?

The 2 steps are correct. Make sure “Progress” is enabled.
What exact issue are you having? Be as detailed as possible.

Yap, you were right: I didn’t enable “Progress”! Now it’s working! Thanks a lot! - Do you know if there is a way, that companion show me the state? I understand, that it doesn’t get feedback from the console but e. g. is companion able to change the color of the button after pushing, so I can see there that it’s muted?

Well, that’s the problem. Because there’s no feedback from the console, you can have the button turn red when you press it, but would the group really be muted?
Not sure if things have changed, but when I made the module, the dLive communication support sucked. A lot of the newer A&H consoles are better in that regard.

Ah, I understand! Yeah, that’s a real pity! It works so well with the SQ5… But thank you anyway!

Just out of curiosity, I checked with A&H and they say that they haven’t updated the dLive MIDI functions since firmware 1.9, which came many years ago.

Please feel free to bug A&H to add more MIDI functions to bring them up to the level of the newer A&H consoles. The newer consoles have a LOT more MIDI capabilities, but the dLive is “supposed” to be their flagship so they should really step it up!