Any plans to implement MIDI Module on Companion 3.0?

So, I had some time the past couple of weeks and have been able to get the lion’s share of the MIDI module converted.
However… I won’t be able to test it on my console to see what I screwed up. I did test it a bit with the Editor, but since Feedback only works with the console, I’m a bit stuck until I get a chance to test it there.

In the first version for v3, Macros probably won’t work, and I won’t have added variables.
For sure, before I include it into any real builds, I have to have both those things implemented.

Anyway, just wanted to update y’all and hopefully sometime soon we’ll have a v3 MIDI module that you can test out.

Thanks again for everyone’s support!

1 Like

That’s fantastic to hear! Thanks for all that you do! Let me know if I can help test anything out in any way!

1 Like

If you have a CL or QL console and can try this out, you’re welcome to do so. I don’t have my CL console so it may not work AT ALL, or it might give nothing but errors, or fingers crossed, it might just work.

Regardless, if you decide to give it a try, please don’t do it in “show mode” and make sure you’ve saved your show before you start, “just in case”.
Also, whether or not it works, please use the “Export Support Bundle” function in v3 to send me the logs so I can see where any errors come from.

Thanks!

Test build of the MIDI Module for Companion v3

Use the latest BETA build of companion v3 from bitfocus.io and point the “Developer modules path” to the folder ABOVE the folder that you extracted the Test build to.

1 Like

Can’t wait a test it out. I’m out of town until Saturday but will be happy to test it out when I get back.

1 Like

Hello Andy and everyone in here :slight_smile:

I have downloaded and tried out your new MIDI Module with a QL1 console. I made quick tests with the console as I did not yet had the time to test it thoroughly.

However I sat in front of the editor for a while now and have noticed the following :

• All the “premade” messages like “InputHPF/EQHPFOn”, “InputOn/ChannelOn” and so on works well
  • The “Other Yamaha MIDI Message” are not working for me (ie. using the Recorder to assign a button to change the value of a PEQ frequency from the GEQ Rack)
  • By the way, I can control the gain value of a GEQ31 (using “GEQ/GEQGainL4”), but not with a PEQ (neither with “PEQ/PEQL5F” neither the “Other Yamaha MIDI Message” “ScenePEQ/PEQFreq5” that is showing through the Recorder)
  • Rotary do not work with the MIDI Module (I tried with RCP by watching your video on it, works like a charm)

I have uploaded the logs from “Export Support Bundle” for you to see in any case it is useful.
LOGS.zip (25.2 KB)

Eager to test future versions and be able to soon control my 8-band PEQs through rotaries and not the screen of the console :slight_smile:

Thanks !

Well, the fact that it didn’t crash RIGHT AWAY is a good sign at least.

Great!

Recorder isn’t really controllable from the MIDI module. See here:

Ok, I’ll have to look into that when I get back to my console.

That’s expected. You’ll need “relative” commands to make those work. Something I’ll be working on.

Thank you SO MUCH!

I also spent some time working with it. No crashes for me either. Didn’t have a ton of time to test it but a few of the feedback options (such as channel color) didn’t work all the time although would occasionally work.

Appreciate the update, @iamderkis ;

If you can send me any details about things that don’t work, along with logs when you have a chance, that would be greatly appreciated!

Found the bug regarding “Other Yamaha MIDI Message”. They weren’t sending as you noted.
I’ll post the fix in a day or so.

Interestingly though, I just found out that the RCP Macro buttons work with the MIDI module too, with no changes!

1 Like

Fix posted. Still some other things to do, but see if it’s any better.

1 Like

Looks like there’s a possibility of a buffer overrun with the CL consoles. Looking into that.

1 Like

Sure thing. I’ll try and do some more testing tomorrow morning when I get to the office.

Buffer issue fixed.

1 Like

Anyone had a chance to do any other testing?

BTW, Recording Macros works fine, the same Macro buttons that I created for the RCP module “just work” in the MIDI module!

A post was split to a new topic: RCP Module 3.1.2 issues

Hi Andy
Cliff here - I’m running an M1 Mac (Monterey OS), Companion 3.1.1+6229-stable-4593dd7f, and your latest Midi Module: Yamaha Sysex MIDI - v3.0.1.
However, When I turn on the module - it tries to connect, and then says crashed - retrying multiple times…
I cannot get into the edit settings page to tell it where to look for the console.

Any clues?

I believe there were some issues in older companion builds.
Please try the latest beta from bitfocus.io
Current version as of this writing is 3.2.0+6432

If you still have the same problem, please export the main log file and send it to me.

Just downloaded the beta 3.2.0 and same problem.
KirbsMBPro16-2.local_companion_log_20231020-1156.csv.zip (1.6 KB)

Please try this one, and send me the main logs regardless of whether it works or not, please.

Here is the link