Any plans to implement MIDI Module on Companion 3.0?

Are there any plans to add the Midi Module? I have a convenient Talkback board set up where I can toggle off and on the various mixes. I could definitely make it work with a standard microphone and mute/unmute that mic in people’s mixes but its nice having the TB feature.

I definitely do want to update it, but it will be considerably harder to do than the RCP module, so that’s why I did that one first. Not sure when I’ll have time though as I’m right in the middle of the busy season for shows.
But yes, I would like to do it eventually.

1 Like

What function specifically are you unable to do with the RCP module?
I did a couple of videos on setting up a talkback system using the SD and SD+, have you watched them?

I have watched it but it has been a while. I will check it out again tomorrow. Thank you

Another one that I had setup with the Midi module that I was unable to find in the RCP module (potentially due to overlooking) is the ability to turn off and on channels to Mono. We run Waves pitch correction onto channels 65-72 and we also run the unprocessed audio form the microphones onto channels 1-8 and deselect Mono on the raw mic audio but I had a button on the streamdeck that could select Mono in the event of our processing rig crashing. I have not had much time to explore this possibility on RCP but the Talkback and Mono Select were the only two uses I had for the Midi Module.

Id be curious to see how you figure this out, if at all with the RCP module. I had a macro on the midi module that changed any of the inserts that were using Waves patch’s from the Slot Out/In back to something on the board in case Waves took a nose dive. For some reason I can get the RCP record to only see the Slot Out patch changes, not the Slot in.

Yeah this has been a frustration of mine. I have never needed to use it (thankfully), but it’s nice having a single button to flip over the Raw Mic Channels to Mono and turn off the Waves Mic Channels in the event of a crash as well as being able to set each Microphone individual. I have a User Defined Key set to “Select Mono” but it would not be as quick of a swap over in the event we lost our Waves machine

yeah this is exactly what I’m using the midi module for too

1 Like

So, I had some time the past couple of weeks and have been able to get the lion’s share of the MIDI module converted.
However… I won’t be able to test it on my console to see what I screwed up. I did test it a bit with the Editor, but since Feedback only works with the console, I’m a bit stuck until I get a chance to test it there.

In the first version for v3, Macros probably won’t work, and I won’t have added variables.
For sure, before I include it into any real builds, I have to have both those things implemented.

Anyway, just wanted to update y’all and hopefully sometime soon we’ll have a v3 MIDI module that you can test out.

Thanks again for everyone’s support!

1 Like

That’s fantastic to hear! Thanks for all that you do! Let me know if I can help test anything out in any way!

1 Like

If you have a CL or QL console and can try this out, you’re welcome to do so. I don’t have my CL console so it may not work AT ALL, or it might give nothing but errors, or fingers crossed, it might just work.

Regardless, if you decide to give it a try, please don’t do it in “show mode” and make sure you’ve saved your show before you start, “just in case”.
Also, whether or not it works, please use the “Export Support Bundle” function in v3 to send me the logs so I can see where any errors come from.

Thanks!

Test build of the MIDI Module for Companion v3

Use the latest BETA build of companion v3 from bitfocus.io and point the “Developer modules path” to the folder ABOVE the folder that you extracted the Test build to.

1 Like

Can’t wait a test it out. I’m out of town until Saturday but will be happy to test it out when I get back.

1 Like

Hello Andy and everyone in here :slight_smile:

I have downloaded and tried out your new MIDI Module with a QL1 console. I made quick tests with the console as I did not yet had the time to test it thoroughly.

However I sat in front of the editor for a while now and have noticed the following :

• All the “premade” messages like “InputHPF/EQHPFOn”, “InputOn/ChannelOn” and so on works well
  • The “Other Yamaha MIDI Message” are not working for me (ie. using the Recorder to assign a button to change the value of a PEQ frequency from the GEQ Rack)
  • By the way, I can control the gain value of a GEQ31 (using “GEQ/GEQGainL4”), but not with a PEQ (neither with “PEQ/PEQL5F” neither the “Other Yamaha MIDI Message” “ScenePEQ/PEQFreq5” that is showing through the Recorder)
  • Rotary do not work with the MIDI Module (I tried with RCP by watching your video on it, works like a charm)

I have uploaded the logs from “Export Support Bundle” for you to see in any case it is useful.
LOGS.zip (25.2 KB)

Eager to test future versions and be able to soon control my 8-band PEQs through rotaries and not the screen of the console :slight_smile:

Thanks !

Well, the fact that it didn’t crash RIGHT AWAY is a good sign at least.

Great!

Recorder isn’t really controllable from the MIDI module. See here:

Ok, I’ll have to look into that when I get back to my console.

That’s expected. You’ll need “relative” commands to make those work. Something I’ll be working on.

Thank you SO MUCH!

I also spent some time working with it. No crashes for me either. Didn’t have a ton of time to test it but a few of the feedback options (such as channel color) didn’t work all the time although would occasionally work.

Appreciate the update, @iamderkis ;

If you can send me any details about things that don’t work, along with logs when you have a chance, that would be greatly appreciated!

Found the bug regarding “Other Yamaha MIDI Message”. They weren’t sending as you noted.
I’ll post the fix in a day or so.

Interestingly though, I just found out that the RCP Macro buttons work with the MIDI module too, with no changes!

1 Like

Fix posted. Still some other things to do, but see if it’s any better.

1 Like

Looks like there’s a possibility of a buffer overrun with the CL consoles. Looking into that.

1 Like

Sure thing. I’ll try and do some more testing tomorrow morning when I get to the office.