Remote controlling a 01v96 with another

Hello all.

I have had great sucess with the 01v96/03D setup I got such great help here making work.

There is a chance I will purchase another 01v96 and I if I do I have ambitions of acheiving the following:

1). Hooking up the second 01v96 to my exsisting 01v96/03D setup. As of now I use the 03D to remote control the audio groups(buses) and stereo returns of the 01v96 (no audio needs to pass through the 03D). I would like to keep this feature, but additionally use the second 01v96 to remote control channel faders 17-32 on the first 01v96 (the one actually handling the audio). I’m thinking strict remote control duty here, but in addition to remoting channel level and on/off as I do now, I would love to remotely “select” channel, also.

2). Placing one 01v96 next to the stage with all audio running through it and using a second 01v96 at FOH to just remote control the other mixer.

Is any of this doable?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

Kristian

Hello Kristian,

It is doable, but unfortunately there is no NRPN for the buttons on the 01v96, except “on/off”. Maybe you can achieve something through the “Cascade Link” function, but I think not. The 01v96 uses desk specific SysEx messages for “select” and you will need some way of sending them from a separate controller or from one desk to the other. When the desk produces these messages they do not appear at the Midi-Out connector, only on the USB to a computer for use by Studio Manager, even though they can be received and understood at the Midi-In connector. Please have a look at this PDF which gives a few clues about effective garbage in garbage out using the Yamaha digital desks.

The message you want to be able to send - select (for ch17) is F0 43 10 3E 0D 04 09 18 00 00 00 00 10 F7 (and for ch18 the end is:) 11 F7 …etc.)

I am probably going to update this page a few times. If you set the Studio Manager connection in DIO setup to use the Midi connectors (instead of USB) then I think that the desk will send and receive only SysEx on the Midi connectors, and for every parameter. Do the same for the second desk and connect their Midi-In’s to their Midi-Out’s and they should then talk exclusively Sysex and each one should follow the other in every respect. They would need to have the same ID number. It works between a desk and Studio Manager, so I think it must work between 2 desks! You would need to make sure that they hold the same data before you start work by doing a bulk dump from one to the other.

I suggest that you try before you buy!

David Kent.

I like the idea of using an “old” 03D as a remote control of a small console like a 01V96. I guess using MIDI and NRPN is a good way to go if faders and ON-buttons is enough. Of course changing EQ and COMP needs the potis on the audio-console, so changing layers is necessary.

mmm…second try to let a post here…